Saturday 25 July 2009

Bags packed...

I am a pretty private person, generally quite quiet and never one to shout from he roof tops. So the thought of writing a travel blog fills me with as much intrepredation as climbing Kilimanjaro itself... However, I really feel that it will be a fantastic way to share the experience with all those people close to me who have an interest in my journey. I hope that those of you who choose to follow me will enjoy my commentary. I will endeavour to be as informative, relevant and entertaining as possible.. at all times.

I arrived at Heathrow with plenty of time to spare and I am sitting in the departure lounge waiting to board my flight. I spent the afternoon finishing packing and then had lunch in Notting Hill close by to where I live. It was a beautiful sunny afternoon. Notting Hill is at it's best in the sunshine... but you can say that about just about any area of London. However, with it's market, all of it's restaurants and bars and general hustle and bustle Notting Hill comes particularly alive
when basked in sunshine.

Lunch was spent with my girlfriend Suzi and one of my best friends, Gheeve, discussing last night's escapades at Annabels... I will miss them both but in very different ways.

I am not sure what to expect from my journey, but I am beginning to look forward to it. Up until now I haven't felt excited about leaving, but I can presently feel my expectations building. I am really looking forward to meeting up with my fellow travellers and friends, Paul and Semjon (they are flying from NYC), in Tanzania in about 15 hours. While I have no preconceived expectations for this journey I know that it will be truly amazing experience for all of us.... I hope to be able to share how and why over the next 10 days.

If you are interested in learning a bit more about the experience I am about to embark upon then take ablook at the following video:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Bxq53a1bTsU&feature=related

The video blog was recommended by a friend, Nigel, who successfully climbed Kili a few months ago. It's pretty good and conveys the excitement and drama of the climb - if you have a few spare minutes take a look.

Next stop Tanzania...

2 comments:

  1. Dear Anton its so so great that you are doing this blog
    - YES YES PLEASE endeavor to post EVERY little tinny thing (so impressive) and more important take care of yourselves!!!!
    ... and of capital importance give semjon a big big kiss
    xxx olga

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you are well and enjoying the climb. I am waiting for the next instalment, so when you have time do write about your experience.
    Take care, love M x

    ReplyDelete